What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a branch of medical science that aims to restore the proper functioning of the disabled or injured body parts. It is also termed as physical therapy. It refers to the treatment of any disease, injury, or deformity. And all of these can be treated by using physical methods such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise rather than using medicinal drugs or performing any kind of surgery.
D.P.T Course Details
Diploma in physiotherapy (DPT) is a medical nursing course, which is a professional course. This certification-course is completed in under 2 years. The course covers theoretical studies as well as practical sessions. This course can also be categorized under ‘medical course’ as well as ‘paramedical course’. So it means that D.P.T. deals with physiotherapy and its allied healthcare areas. The students during their course work learn how to treat patients with physical disabilities and injuries in a range of settings including hospitals, health centers, private practices, and sports clubs.
Eligibility criteria may be different for various institutes. Most of the institutes have a 10+2 pass (science stream) as the minimum educational qualification required. However, there are many institutions in India, which accept students after the 10th class as well.
- To qualify for the DPT course, students must have passed in 10 + 2 examination or its equivalent examination in the Science stream from any recognized board of education.
- Candidates must have secured a minimum aggregate score of 45% (40% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) or more in the qualifying exam in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and/or Mathematics.
- In some colleges, pupils also need to appear for the entrance exam.
To apply for the course of Diploma in Physiotherapy, candidates will have to first fill the application form. The Admission Process for Diploma in Physiotherapy differs from one college to another. In most colleges, the admission is done based on candidates marks obtained in class 10 and 12 board examinations. But there are many colleges in which admission is done on the basis of entrance tests.
- Universities/Colleges will select the required candidates on the basis of the past academic qualifications along with other factors, defined in their admission policies.
- Some colleges may also include Personal Interview or Group Discussion.
- On the basis of the overall performance of the candidates which includes their past academic record, performance in the personal interview, and/or group discussions, candidates will be selected for admissions.
- Based on their past academic record, candidates will earn scores/ranks in the merit-lists and be called for counseling processes based on merit.
- The candidates are provided the choice of selecting the course and the college.
- Depending on their choice course and college, the ranks obtained in the merit list, and the vacancies available for a course and college, candidates will be provided admissions.
- On the basis of the admission policy of any college, candidates will either have to appear for a State-Level entrance exam or University-level entrance exam.
- After that merit lists with the names and scores/ranks of the candidates will be released by the authority.
- On the basis of the candidate’s ranks/scores, their choice of course & college, and the slots available for the same will determine the admission of an aspirant.
This list below consists of the examinations that a candidate can appear
- JIPMER PG
- NEET PG
- AIIMS PG
- DNB CET
- AP EAMCET
- MU OET
All the candidates who aspire to pursue a Diploma in Physiotherapy course in India, they will have to pay an annual course fee ranging between ₹10,000 and ₹ 5,00,000. The Diploma in Physiotherapy course fee depends on various parameters such as who owns the educational institution, popularity of the course and college, location of the college, etc. Government colleges offering the course of Diploma in Physiotherapy are comparatively cheaper than a private institution offering the same course.
These are some of the important subjects that a student will study during the course. (Not all subjects are mentioned here.)
- Basics of Physiotherapy
- Physiology and Anatomy
- First Aid and Nursing
- Clinical Observation
- Exercise Therapy
- Sports Science and Medicine
- Rehabilitation Science
- Applications of Physiotherapy
- Medical Ethics
Along with classroom theory classes, Practical sessions are also taken.
FURTHER STUDIES AND COURSES
After DPT, Diploma holders are eligible to pursue courses like
- BPT(Bachelor’s Degree in Physiotherapy)
- B.sc in physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
After that, one can choose for Master of Physiotherapy course or can go for PG Diploma in Physiotherapy course and can even go for advanced Ph.D. studies. Or one can also study PG management courses (like MBA) after their completion of the Bachelor’s program.
Career Options and Job Prospects
The following are some of the popular job roles and employment areas for the candidates who have successfully completed their Diploma in Physiotherapy.
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Defense Medical Organizations
- Colleges & Universities
- Colleges & Universities
- Pharmacy Industry
- Private & Government Sectors
- Orthopedic Departments
- Health Institutions
- Assistant Physiotherapist
- Self Employed Private Physiotherapist
- Sports Physic Rehabilitator
- Therapy Manager
The salary depends on a number of factors. Some important factors are the profile of the employer, grades attained by the employer, skills possessed by the employer, and quality of institute from which one has completed his/her degree. Generally, the starting salary is about 15,000-20,000 Rupees per month. With more experience, the salary will increase. In foreign countries, the pay scale is much better than that in India. In the case of a Government sector job, salary will depend on the pay scale and grade of the employee.
Bangalore Fresher Jobs10 months ago
GE Healthcare Hiring Software Developer Intern in Bangalore
2021 Batch Jobs5 months ago
TCS NQT for 2021 Batch | Exam Date | Exam Pattern | Recruitment Process | Selection Process | TCS Ninja 2021
2019 Batch Jobs9 months ago
TCS NextStep Registration 2020 For Freshers | B.E/B.Tech/BCA/MCA/M.E/M.Tech | Across India
Fresher Jobs10 months ago
Zycus Off-Campus Walk-in drive 2020
Bangalore Fresher Jobs9 months ago
CommScope Hiring QA Engineer in Bangalore for Freshers and Experienced
Fresher Jobs10 months ago
Globex Digital Solutions Internship Program For Python Web Developers
Android Developer Jobs10 months ago
Carousell Hiring Software Engineer Freshers
Experienced Jobs9 months ago
WNS Hiring For Manual Tester